To minimize the chance of burn injuries, the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA) recommends the following steps for safe and enjoyable operation of a hearth product:

  • After turning off your gas fireplace or stove, wait for the appliance and glass panel to cool down before allowing anyone to get near it. The glass may remain warm from a lit pilot light. Metal surfaces, such as door frames and grilles, may also get very hot.
  • Make sure all visitors are aware of the hot temperature of the glass panel of a fireplace or stove Never leave young children alone near an operating fireplace or stove.
  • Discuss fireplace and stove safety with children, and make sure they know they should never touch the glass panel of a fireplace or stove.
  • A physical barrier is recommended if there are children in the house. To restrict access to a fireplace or stove, install an adjustable safety gate to keep young children out of the room and away from the hot surface.
  • Install a switch lock to prevent children from turning on the gas fireplace.
  • Keep the gas fireplace remote control out of the reach of children.
  • Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the safe use and maintenance of your hearth appliance.

Hearth Safety Products and More Information

For additional safety guidance, visit one of the following sites:

Product Information

Ask your local retailer or original product manufacturer for information on hearth gates and other safety products for your fireplace or stove. Additional hearth safety products available are listed below:

Hot Glass Warning Symbol

Hot Glass Logo

The Hot Glass Warning symbol can be downloaded for use from HPBA’s website.
To download high-res version, right-click on this link and choose ‘Save Link As…’.

Download a PDF of the Safety Brochure here.

Fireplace and Stove Glass Safety

Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and utility of modern fireplaces. Today, many gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts have glass fronts to enhance the beauty of the fire. While gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts are a great asset to any home, glass fronts can become extremely hot during and even long after operation. Therefore, it’s important to remember, touching the hot glass front can lead to serious, irreversible burns.

To read more visit HPBA’s Fireplace and Stove Glass Safety page.